Thursday 8 March 2012

Hummus

I've made a startling discovery which has led me to doubt my middle class credentials and question everything I hold sacred about the world.

I was invited to a dinner party the other day and I was told I didn't need to bring any food. I'm terrible at accepting people's hospitality without providing something in return, and so I decided to pick up some bread and dips as a delicious starter.

I reached the supermarket and was surprised to find not even a lack of a hummus section, but not a single solitary pot of the stuff anywhere. Now bear in mind that in the UK, or in London at least, any self-respecting Sainsbury's or Tesco Local is about 75% hummus, this was a bit of a shock to me.

In a hurry, I grabbed up a substitute that looked like that bloody amazing beetroot salad thing you can pick up in pots. The contents, I feel, say rather a lot about the German diet.

I mean, it's sort of a beetroot salad, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment