Saturday 21 January 2012

Vorsprung Durch Conversation

One of the pleasures of not having yet found anywhere permanent to live and staying in a hostel is that I get to hear some great multicultural conversations.  I overheard this classic meeting of minds between a German guy and an American girl.  The topic was vegetarianism.

    AMERICAN:  So I'd been eating meat my whole life until I was 12, and then I did a complete 360.  Just didn't want to eat the stuff any more.  So I haven't touched it since.

    [GERMAN looks puzzled.]

    GERMAN:  I'm sorry, but you'd still be facing the same way.

    AMERICAN:  What?

    GERMAN:   A 360 turn would take you the whole way round.  So you'd still be eating meat.

    AMERICAN:  But I turned all the way round!  Like as much as you can!

    GERMAN:  That's a 180 turn.

    AMERICAN:  OK, so maybe it's like a 365 degree turn.  Like all the way around and a bit more.

    GERMAN:  No, you'd still be facing basically the same way.  A 180 degree turn is the most you can do.

    AMERICAN:  Maths was never a good subject for me.

    GERMAN:  It's a 180 degree turn.

I love the Germans for their precision.

1 comment: